Friday, November 05, 2004

Let the speculation begin

Out of the free agents, I think only Jaret Wright, Paul Byrd, and Julio Franco are likely to return. JD Drew and Russ Ortiz will be way too expensive. Antonio Alfonseca will likely ask for a bit more money than he made last year, and the Braves can probably find someone as effective as he was for less.

In arbitration, I expect that Rafael Furcal will make about 5 million, Marcus Giles about 1.5 million, and Kevin Gryboski somewhere between 1 and 2 million. I think Chris Reitsma will be non-tendered.

Lineup vs. RHP

SS Furcal
RF Thomas
2B Giles
3B C. Jones
C Estrada
CF A. Jones
1B LaRoche
LF Langerhans

Lineup vs. LHP

SS Furcal
1B Franco
2B Giles
3B C. Jones
CF A. Jones
C Estrada
RF Marrero
LF Hollins

I think that if Drew leaves, the only way the Braves add another everyday rightfielder is through trade, unless they let all the free agent starting pitchers go and sign one through free agency. Otherwise, I think it would probably be a 3 or 4 man rotation in the corner spots between Charles Thomas, Eli Marrero, Ryan Langerhans, and someone like Damon Hollins.

If the Braves bring back Wright, they probably won't bring back Byrd. If they don't bring back Wright, they'll probably bring back Byrd. I think it's 50/50 for each.

likely rotation:

RHP Thomson
LHP Hampton
RHP Byrd
LHP Ramirez
RHP Capellan/Cruz/LHP Meyer

If Capellan doesn't win the 5th spot in the spring, he'll probably start in AAA. If Cruz doesn't win it, he'll be one of the primary set-up men. If Meyer doesn't win it, he will probably be a long reliever. I don't think Smoltz will end up in the rotation because if he does that will cost the Braves an additional 3 million or so, and a chance to bring back one or more of their free agents. Now, if the Braves lose all 3 starters and Drew in free agency anyway, Smoltz would probably start.

I think Meyer has the best chance to make the rotation because he is more polished than Capellan and the Braves need Cruz as a set-up man.

Likely bullpen:
RHP Smoltz
RHP Cruz
LHP Martin
RHP Gryboski
RHP Colon

I think the last 2 spots in the bullpen will be filled by people who were minor leaguers last year (not Capellan, I think the Braves want him to start) or NRI's.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Evan Brunell, I am the owner of the Most Valuable Network (www.mostvaluablenetwork.com) and also write for the Red Sox at Fire Brand of the American League (www.firebrand.mostvaluablenetwork.com). We've been looking for a Braves writer to partner with our current one, and we came across your site. I personally think you would be a good fit for MVN, I think you have good quality writing. Would you be interested in joining the Most Valuable Network as a Braves writer? If yes or no, please do let me know, at evan_brunell(AT)mostvaluablenetwork(DOT)com.

Thanks.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Evan, I just read your comment and I've e-mailed you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home